We're the Class of 2019 and we want to celebrate our graduation by paying it forward. We've all known someone who's struggled while at uni, and we don't think it's fair that money should stop students from achieving their dreams. If we all come together we can do something incredible for the students who'll come after us - with just £3.
What is the Graduating Class Gift?
The Class of 2016 funded a full year of a bursary for a student who had left care, while the Class of 2017 funded an emergency hardship grant which saved PhD student Arshia's degree. Last year’s Class of 2018 were the best yet, raising over £4000 and choosing to create not one but TWO additional emergency hardship grants.
Because hundreds of previous students and family members gave just £3, some of our classmates have successfully been able to reach graduation when otherwise they would have had to drop out due to financial pressure. It’s amazing what we can do wen we come together.
Who am I?
My name is Ebenezer and I'm graduating as part of the Class of 2019 with a BSc (Hons!) in International Business with Business Experience. My mum and my older brother also came to Kingston, so it’s definitely in my blood. I’ve played for the uni basketball team, loved nights out in Kingston and worked for KU throughout my degree, and I know I’m going to miss it, even as I’m excited for the next stage.
The skills, confidence and knowledge I've gained at Kingston have been invaluable, and I want to make sure other students can benefit from a similar experience.
Where will the money go?
100% of the money raised will go to students directly - either through a scholarship, a bursary or a hardship grant. Just leave a comment here with your vote of where our Class Gift should go! Last year 500 students gave, and this year we want to reach 750.
Which will win? YOU DECIDE!
- The Student Hardship Fund - because half a degree isn't worth anything. This makes sure that a temporary crisis doesn't mean a student has to drop out.
- Care Leavers' Bursaries - young people who have left care are WAY less likely to go to uni than those of us who haven't. Only 6% (compared to an average of 40%) get to uni, but anyone should be able to succeed at uni if they have the talent and the drive to.
- Postgraduate Scholarships - if you think an undergraduate degree is expensive, look at the costs for postgraduate degrees. Money shouldn't get in the way of education
- The Opportunities Fund - community work, business start-ups, racing cars; the Opportunities Fund means that if you have a great idea, you can make it happen at Kingston.
- The Research Fund - universities create knowledge, and we want the best of it to be happening at KU!
Everyone who takes part with a donation of £3 or more will receive an exclusive 'Made in Kingston: Class of 2019' mug as a thank you to take to your desk at your new jobs. #KUProud!
Help us succeed!
- Share! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- Give! Please sponsor us and help make this happen. If you're feeling generous, you can even give more than £3! 100% will support our fellow students.
You can read more about the projects we will be supporting here.
You can read more about the Graduating Class Gift here.