Lakan and Mayari were best friends growing up and did everything together. They were
separated before they hit puberty and spent their years apart discovering things about
themselves that they felt they couldn’t tell others about. When they reunite, sparks fly
between them as they uncover the lost friendship of their youth. They discuss their
childhood together and a story from local folklore that inspires them to seek out the
mountain that the mythological Moon God ‘Bulan’ descends onto from the heavens, to meet
his lover ‘Sidapa’. Lakan has a genetic degenerative disorder that is causing him to go blind,
but his week-long trip with Mayari will allow him to see the beautiful sights recounted in the
tale of ‘Bulan and Sidapa’ one last time. Lakan instantly trusts Mayari, enough to hold onto
his hand so that Mayari can guide him on their journey to the ‘Sea of Clouds’. This physical
touch fosters an intimacy between them that escalates into a deeper connection,
encouraging them to act on their newly-discovered desires.
This film is being created as part of our gradation project for our third year of our BA filmmaking degree. This film is not only important because of its ultimate impact on our degree, but because it is the pinnacle of our work to date.
This film will represent us as practising professionals, it represents our talent not only as a crew but as individuals and will set the standard from which all our future work will be based from.
This film offers perspectives into the culture of the Philippines, an insight into the LGBTQ culture within a predominately catholic country, as well as raising awareness for the disabled, in particular the blind, who are represented in the film through protagonist Lakan.
Marx Mañoza - Director
Emily Murphy - Writer
Daniel Hughes Hawkins- Producer and Sound designer
Calum Henderson - Director of photography
Mo Amputra - Editor
Where will the money go?
- Covering flight costs for the film crew to travel to the Philippines - £1500
- Paying for local actors - £400 to cover suspected filming period
- Accommodation and food for actors and crew- £180
- Travel insurance - £80
- Booking out locations - £250
- Relevant filming permits - £60
- Script translators
- Production costs
- Film festival submissions
Find us here
Please follow our facebook page for regular updates, behind the scenes photos and videos, early previews and vlogs from the crew during production!
- We have rewards available for our kind donators
Help us succeed!
- You don't need to give money to help us succeed! Please share this project with anyone you think would support us – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, by email, telephone, in a chat over the fence or on your blog.
- In fact, share it with everyone you know as we think it's a great idea, and the more people who know about it, the more likely we are to make this work out brilliantly.
- And we know we said you don't need to give money to help us, but we'd love it if you did! Please sponsor us and help make this happen.