#The World in the Week - 19th to 23rd March 2018
WHAT IS GLOBAL FESTIVAL?
Global Festival is an annual event run by the Union of Kingston Students that celebrates who students are outside of their studies. At Kingston, we are lucky to have so much diversity within our student body but often this is celebrated behind closed doors. Global Festival is our platform to celebrate!
Societies, volunteer teams and sports clubs come together to run over 80+ student-led events throughout the week. The Festival takes place across all four campuses with lashings of colour, music, vibrancy, activity and FOOD! Best of all, most events are completely free to attend and open to all. It is a fantastic way to showcase the passions of our students to the whole university community, and beyond.
You can see photos and videos from previous years at the links below - do check them out!
WHY SHOULD YOU DONATE?
We want to be able to support all student groups who wish to exhibit at the Festival rather than having to prioritise the larger and already more popular events. We'd also love to increase the funding we provide to societies and clubs from £60 to £100.
Supporting a greater number of student groups with a higher level of investment will ensure that all passions and points of view can be seen and heard during the week . Everyone should be able to celebrate at Global Festival - your funding will provide the opportunity for them to be there and be proud!
Global Festival is also open to all, not just students of the University. So whether you're a member of our University or alumni community, a local community member or from further afield - please come and take part!
Where will the money go?
Our goal is to be able to award each suitable application £100. We have funds to provide £60 in funding to the ~60 groups which apply, so we need to raise £1200 to provide the additional £40 to all 60 projects. The eagle-eyed among you will notice our maths don't quite add up, but that's because every donation on KUBacker is matched 100% by the University - so although we need £2400 in order to increase the funding, we only need to raise £1200 here. Increasing the funding available to student groups will mean:
· Professionals can be hired to increase impact, such as dancers, musicians, artists or speakers.
· Better equipment items to run activities for longer
· Travel for speakers can be covered at awareness raising events.
· More ingredients for the food stalls so students can taste more of the world!
· Larger events = more people = bigger impact = better experience!
Our overall goal is to raise £1350. With the funds raised over £1200, we would also love to buy a new marquee (£200) to replace a flimsy old one and we'd also love to raise £100 to hire a videographer to cover the week. This footage would be used to showcase the event next year and provide vital evidence of impact, which could increase the amount of funding we receive next year - making Global Festival 2019 even bigger still!
We want to say thank you for your support and reward your generosity with our Global Festival themed goodies! All rewards will be ready for collection from mid-February from the Union office at Penryhn Road campus. We will also be posting goodies to UK addresses if required and you can get in touch with your address after you have donated. We
If you are a company or faculty and wish to donate then as a reward we would happily put your logo onto our posters. We also plan to create a thank you wall which will be displayed in the corridor during the festival. This will include all donor's names (with permission) including companies or faculties!
Help us succeed!
- Please share! Please share this with all your friends, work colleagues, fellow students, alumni, family members or people you think just might be interested in attending Global Festival! Please use our hashtags #theworldinaweek #globalfestival2018 when sharing so we can see your posts. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, email - we want the Global Festival to reach the world!
- Please give! Every £ you give will be matched 100% by alumni donations. So anything you can give really does make a difference!